Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Let me just tell you about it.

I started a new job one week ago tomorrow. Thus far, I have done very few things right. Let me tell you about it. I am teaching "Stories and Science" and "Language" class to 3 year olds. In short, this consists of teaching 40 (give or take) 3 year olds their letters, math skills, safety lessons, etc. Doing this is surprisingly easy. Granted, I need to brush up on my sign language alphabet, but otherwise it's not too difficult. However, outside of the classroom I have done many, many things wrong. Here is a list:

1. I am currently working the hours 8:30-5:30. I found out yesterday (on day 4) that 8:30 ACTUALLY means no later than 8:15. So, I've been 15 minutes late since Day 1. Whoops.

2. "Wear comfortable shoes" ACTUALLY means "You must wear tennis shoes." So the 3 out of 4 days that I wore comfortable leather dress shoes, I was actually breaking dress code. Whoops. Too bad I just bought brand new comfortable leather shoes that I can no longer wear.

3. I wear uniforms, which is fine. However, I just found out yesterday while wearing the uniform plaid that "under no circumstances should a teacher wear the uniform plaid."  So, I went home at nap time to change into the acceptable dark navy trouser pants. Mistakenly, instead of putting on my navy pants, I put on black pants---which is also VERY unacceptable. Whoops. (P.S. Too bad I just spent $35 on a plaid skirt that I can no longer wear.)

4. I was told that during nap time (from 1:00-3:00), teachers are allowed to run errands, etc. So, I've been running errands. Turns out, I am only allowed to take on-site breaks from 2:00-2:35. Whoops.

5. I was asked to fill out my W-4 forms and turn in my drivers license so that a copy could be made. I did this on Monday (November 1). My drivers license expired on Sunday (October 31), so it is no longer valid. Thus, I did not get paid on Tuesday.

6. I am not allowed to push the children on the swings more than 3 pushes. I have spent the majority of the 3 recesses per day for 4 days pushing the children on swings. In addition, 3 year olds are not allowed to play on the monkey bars. I have been lifting them onto the monkey bars for 4 days. Whoops.

7. I was told not to leave my classroom at nap time until all of the children are asleep. Turns out, this actually means "Do not leave your classroom until 1:25. At 1:25, you MUST leave your classroom so the other teachers can be relieved for their planning period." I did not realize this until 1:30 when one of the teachers came into my room and told me that they had been waiting on me so that they could eat lunch. Whoops.

8. 3 year olds are required to go to the potty before lunch time, whether they need to or not. I learned this the hard way. Whoops.

9. If you do not ask for help from the other teachers, they become admittedly frustrated with you. That sucks.

10. I have no friends. The other teachers do not get my random, sarcastic, dry humor at all. They basically think that I am the strange, non-uniform-wearing, illegally-swing-pushing new girl. Sigh.

There's a lot to say for having a job for which you generally know what you're doing. I hope I can generally know what I'm doing again someday soon.

Luckily, I should have some funny 3 year old sentences to share with you soon.

~Heather 

7 comments:

Haley said...

Can I just say that all your 'wrongs' have made my week! Cannot wait for stories to come! Come visit your old friends, we think you're great!!!

Anonymous said...

Why didn't anyone tell you this??? Are they all jerks? I'll come be the biggest 3 year old they've ever seen and make their lives miserable. -Rachel Stanley

Anonymous said...

Oh Heather that is all so funny. But I am sure you are doing great. Those 3 yr olds are lucky to have you.
Love Dee

Anonymous said...

I agree with Aunt Dee! They are lucky to have you (3 year olds and the others that don't recongize it yet). Hang in there pumpkin!

renee said...

All I can say is wow. Those seem like a lot of rules you should not have had
to learn the hard way. This too shall pass and you are going to be great! -Rener

renee said...

I really did not mean to say Rener. Whoops.

Heather B. said...

Thanks, all. The rest of the week went better, thank God!! Most of the rules are justified; I just wish I would have known them before they cost me money and pride. Alas.